Thursday, February 5, 2009
Quick Maya Lighting Reference
Types of lights in Maya
1. Ambient Lights = Bad (or last ditch cheat)
2. Directional Lights = Infinite in size and casts light in one direction. Often used to simulate the sun. Can cast shadows.
3. Point Lights = Omni-directional light source emanating from a single point. Can be used for light bulbs, the sun in a planetary system, a fire. Can cast shadows and be attenuated.
4. Area Lights = Similar to Directional Light but with a limited size. Can cast shadows and be attenuated. Can be used for skylights and large light fixtures. Akin to a "soft box" in movie lighting. "Relatively expensive" in terms of render time.
5. Spotlights = Most common and versatile of the lights. Your work horse. To move the aim point separately from the light, hit "T" for the "manipulator" tool.